Monday, July 21, 2008

"Gore's Challenge"

Today I will talk about the speech I heard from Al Gore our former vice president of the United States. His speech was about how our future will be in panic if we don't act now to save it. Studies from scientists and government officials have found that in five years the polar ice caps will be gone during the summer months. The weird weather, tornados, droughts, and higher temperature are signs that we are in trouble. The core of this crisis is the use of carbon based fuels. We as a nation have to cut down the use of these fuels. When gas prices run high as they are now they start drilling the oil from the ground and doing this does not solve the problem it just makes it worst. The old policies need to be changed like the old solutions to problems we have today. We correct the problems separately which just causes another problem to get worse instead of solving it together.

Right now is the time to act to save our environment. There are alternative ways to replace the use of carbon based fuels such as using solar energy, wind power, and geothermal energy. This can be achieved because it's affordable and transformative. It's a cheap source of energy that can give lasting energy for all. We do have many obstacles that we need to overcome but I the demand of oil, coal, and other fossil fuels need to be reduced. Al Gore gave us a challenge to have 100% renewable energy in 10 years. I believe this is possible because I will help the best that I can. I can buy energy efficient light bulbs and also start using solar energy. I can get a wind power machines to use on those windy days. I already know some places run on hydroelectric power which is a good source of energy. Tapping into those volcanoes an using there energy is also an alternative way. I can even help change laws and make new laws to help my environment. Laws such as the CO2 tax initiative which taxes on emissions like pollution. In  10  years if we all do our part we will provide better living for our children. I don't want to give future people a dead earth.


If you want to help please join the WE campaign at wecansolveit.org

No comments:

My music